- About ENGIE
- Early Careers at ENGIE
- Graduate and Internship Opportunities
- Your Placement Opportunities
Your Placement Opportunities
‘‘We are committed to supporting our graduates finding meaningful roles which offer exposure and real responsibility. During our placement matching process, we ensure we work closely with our teams across the business to identify placements that will give you the opportunity to grow as individuals while learning new skills and gaining meaningful experience.’’ - Zoe Mitchell, Talent and Early Careers Advisor
Our two-year rotational scheme is designed to give you fantastic exposure to our business. We will support you in selecting the right opportunities to help shape your career across your four placements.
During your graduate scheme you will complete two mandatory placements to ensure you gain the exposure and experience to all areas of our business. We ask you that you spend six months in a commercial placement and another six months in an operational/facilities management placement. We truly believe having exposure to these areas will give you an increased amount of knowledge of the organisation, enabling you to build on your skillset and aid your ability to become leaders of the future.
What does a commercial placement look like?
Commercial can mean something different in every organisation but during this placement you will gain a general understanding around:
- Commercial functions – what the department is there for and building knowledge of different sectors.
- Awareness of risk management – understanding the different types of risk including financial, contractual, and knowing your key stakeholders.
- Health & Safety Policies – gaining an understanding of standard requirements in contracts and when they need to be taken into consideration.
- Awareness of International Organisation for Standardisation Accreditations.
- How things are priced, supplier awareness, Profit & Loss, balance sheets and schedules.
- General navigation of contracts and the different types that are required.
- Basic understanding of liability, insurance, and variations.
- Awareness of contract disputes & resolution procedure.
What does an operational/facilities management placement look like?
During your operational/facilities management placement you will get hands on exposure to our business whether that be mobilising a new hospital contract or getting involved in council contracts, there is always something exciting to get stuck into!
This placement will give you a range of exposure and may include:
- Experience in CSR/Social Value which could include managing apprentices, ensuring employees are receiving the right level of learning and development, tracking volunteer days
- Exposure to the communication sector partnering with brands, producing welcome packs for new employees
- Knowledge of the procurement process, ordering employees PPE, dealing with suppliers and subcontractors
- Innovation – be aware of upcoming and existing ideas on how to improve the final product we are offering our customers
- Extensive exposure to project management, being able to put together a legal tender, conduct risk assessments and safety visits, review progress of projects, holding regular meetings with clients and managing expectations.
Although these placements are a mandatory part of your graduate scheme you will still have some choice in which ones you are most interested in through our placement matching process.
Placement Matching Process
As our business continues to adapt and evolve, it is increasingly important that the graduate scheme plays a part in meeting the needs of the business. At ENGIE we are committed to providing you with interesting and robust placements that offer the opportunity to gain plenty of experience, be responsible for key projects and be accountable for your own development.
The Placement Matching Process is led by our business and follows the below process:
- Our HR Directors work with their Executive teams to identify placement opportunities within their divisions and submit these to the Early Careers Team
- Placements are reviewed against a number of criteria. We ensure that placements are balanced across the business, are well planned and managed, and match the preferences of the graduates as closely as possible
- Once the placements are finalised, these are released to both graduates and placement managers:
- Placement managers are asked to review graduate profiles and submit their preferences
- Graduates are asked to review the placement forms and submit their preferred placements
- The preferences of both sides are then reviewed, and the best possible matches are made considering:
- Business needs and priorities
- Graduate preferences
- Mandatory placements (Operational & Services)
- The best matches across the entire group - we aim for to meet a Top 5 preference for as many matches as we can
- Placements are reviewed by HR Directors and confirmed to graduates
Over the duration of the scheme, you will be able to experience a rotation in some of the following areas:
- Supporting on some of the UK’s biggest hospitals to keep them performing at their best
- Helping our Urban Energy team transform our cities by delivering heating, cooling, and power at our growing number of district energy schemes
- Supporting the business development team to oversee bids, estimations, and procurement – be part of our next successful £200m energy and services tender
- Work on our energy contracts ensuring we meet our goal of ‘making zero carbon happen’
- Be part of the electric vehicle revolution, supporting our national charge point roll out
- Overseeing the mobilisation of different construction contracts across the country, including new builds, land buying and later living
- Being part of our commercial team for the opportunity to understand commercial and business strategy
- Assist in operational management as we help to decommission nuclear power stations
- Changing the lives of people and communities through our local council services
- Providing critical contract support to our asset and operational teams