Duresme Court Student Accommodation
A design and build project to create 274 high quality en-suite studio apartments for students in the city of Durham.
Key Features of the Project:
- Complete redevelopment of the former Berensden Laundry site at the gateway to Durham into one of the most sustainable student campuses in the UK.
- Constructed as six blocks of luxury one-bedroom apartments, the scheme achieved a BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ rating.
- In addition to creating world class student living accommodation the scheme also included a central social hub space, a patio and barbeque area, fitness trail, high quality landscape architecture and secure storage for 130 bicycles.
- Six new apprenticeships were created by the project and the ENGIE team also facilitated four valuable work experience opportunities for local young people.
- The accommodation has proven exceptionally popular with students studying at the nearby Durham University and the creation of this new development has freed up dozens of family homes across the city centre.
“The scheme was designed to create a sustainable environment that would appeal to students across the board with private study areas enhanced by relaxation zones in terms of games, gym, patio/BBQ, cinema and outdoor fitness trail. We truly hope students enjoy living here – it’s a big step up from my days at university!”
Director of County Properties
Procurement Route and Type of Contract
Tendered project and JCT 2011 D&B